Saturday, July 24, 2010

Alyvia's Birth Story


Alyvia has changed so much and done so many things this past year. I decided that since I didn't start a year ago, that I would make a post about her birth and eventually write one about the major milestones since then.

Alyvia Grace Brown was born on March 2, 2009 at 12:54 P.m. She was born via c-section because the little stinker was breach. I tried all the advice people gave me about getting a baby to turn head down. I did not want to have major surgery!! So I did them all including laying with my legs on the couch and my head on the floor below. Try to imagine a nine month pregnant woman doing that. Actually, don't try to imagine it. It wasn't pretty.

The week before her birth I went to my OB appointment. She scheduled my c-section and I was really nervous then. It was becoming so real. The night before her birth I was told no food after midnight, and my c-section wasn't scheduled until noon. So at 11:00 pm, Matt and I drove to Ihop and had "The last supper". Or at least the last one without a baby ;) .When we got home that night Matt went right to bed. I tried to sleep, but was too anxious. So I went to the living room and sat in the recliner(it was easier to breathe there anyway).

The next morning we got loaded up and drove to the hospital. My mom and Steve and my Meme were all going to be there soon and were also very excited to meet her! My Papa joined them later in the afternoon.

We got checked in and was told there was another emergency c-section that was going to have to go before me. So instead of noon it would be one or so. That was fine by me. I was so nervous. They took me up to the surgery area and hooked me up to the monitors and started IV fluids. Matt kept me entertained and tried to take my mind off how nervous I was. The anesthesiologist came in and talked to me about my spinal block, and then Dr. Christy arrived. She made sure the baby was still breach and of course she was, so she said she was going to get scrubbed in and we would start! About that time I heard a baby start to cry. The c-section before me was almost done. I started crying when I heard that baby. It was going to be mine crying before long!

Matt had to wait in the hallway while they got me prepped. They did the spinal which was scary but it only took a second. Then they laid me down on the table and draped the curtain up over my belly. The anesthesiologist was really kind and kept asking how I was doing. I heard Dr. Christy say they could bring Matt in. She also asked the nurse if she would call a resident to assist her. So we waited another few minutes for one to get there. I was silently praying he didn't help too much. I wanted to be sure he knew what he was doing.

A few minutes later Matt came in and sat by my head on a little stool. They were starting. The nurses and doctor's were all making casual conversation like this was the simplest procedure ever. Pretty soon Dr. Christy told me they were getting close and I would be feeling some pressure. About 5 minutes later they said she was out! I immediately asked if it was a girl. Of course it was;). They held her over the curtain and we saw her for the first time. She was so beautiful. It took her about 10 seconds to cry. It felt like a LIFETIME!! They did her APGAR scores and then brought her to Matt. He held her next to my face and let me see her. It was wonderful. He was able to get some pics of her while they got her scores that I looked at later. So precious. They told me then that they were taking her to the nursery and I told Matt to go with them and not leave her!! He did and I was sewn up and taken to recovery. I was told that as soon as I could move my toes I could go to my room and see the baby. I stared at my toes and willed them to move. Eventually they did and I got to go see her.

The next few days were wonderful. We had lots of family and friends come and meet her. I was in pain at times, but nothing horrible. That started the day I went home. Anyway, we got to go home on Wednesday evening and she was born Monday morning, so it was short and sweet :)

I'll stop here. It's long I know, but I don't want to forget the details. It was such a precious day and I want to always remember it.

No comments:

Post a Comment